Monday, April 18, 2011

"Um, I'm her husband."

Now, I'm an awkward person. This is a fact that cannot be denied. Ask any of my family members (in-laws included). Even my Mama and Daddy (Yes, I used "mama" and "daddy" because that's what I call them. No, I'm not four years old; I'm from the South.) think I have my moments. I tend to say or do awkward things or somehow just get into awkward situations.

This was an awkward situation.

This was such an awkward situation that I wrote a Facebook status on it. But somehow, 140 characters didn't quite convey my confusion at this awkward situation.

OK, here we go:
All of our friends were going to see Scream 4 at the movie theater to please our friend Nikki. Side note: DON'T go see a scary movie in a New Orleans theater during it's opening weekend. The end. Scream 4 is rated R and you have to be 17 years old to buy and see the movie.
Now, at this point, let me say that I had woken up that morning, threw my hair into a ponytail and put on an old shirt and jeans. I was also out with my friend Lauren and her awesome son, Trindon, all afternoon. Granted, I didn't look super great.
So, we get to the place, buy the ticket outside, and head inside for the AMC Theater employee to tear it off so we can get to our seats. As this little employee starts to take my ticket, she asks, "Are you over 17? Can I see your ID? Are you here with your parents?" WHOA. Whoa whoa whoa. At this, I was rendered two things: speechless and then a bumbling mess. My response- "Um, ok! Wait, seriously? No, no, It's fine! It happens all the time!" My husband's response- "Um, I'm her husband. She's 25." Of course Brent would say the shortest to most to-the-point answer. As I'm pulling out my ID to prove to her that I was born before 1993, she starts to apologize by telling me that she's 22 and gets this type of thing all the time. I'm sorry, but was that suppose to make me feel better? Not that I was feeling bad before, because I know she probably felt silly, but still. I'm three years older than you lady.
And it's not something I would normally mention, but this was an EIGHT YEAR DIFFERENCE. I'm 25 and was ID'd for looking like I was 17 or younger. Maybe it was the ponytail. Maybe the old shirt and jeans. Maybe, just maybe, I made a deal with the devil and I have a picture of myself that's aging while I stay young. Yup, I just dropped my 9th grade English essay on Dorian Grey on y'all. You weren't expecting that. You're welcome. I started to yell to my friends Krista and Carmen to get out their ID's, but the lady didn't even look at theirs! I mean, that's just wrong. If anything, Carmen gets mistaken for a 18 year old all them time!

I know that people are going to tell me that I'm going to love hearing this in 10-20 years, but I don't want to hear it now! So, please don't tell me that. Let me appreciate the "mistaken younger age" thing when I'm 30 or 40.

Anyway, that's my awkward moment.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment